Being coming from India the concepts from getting into contracts for new subscriptions was little new to me.
For all the above services there are several companies like :
1. Starhub - http://www.starhub.com - Mainly for Cable TV
2. M1 - http://www.m1.com.sg/ - Phone + Internet
3. Singtel - http://www.singtel.com.sg - Phone + Internet
All the companies run "promotions" all the time. So this is very important to know that these companies run it all the time. They offer lot of discounts/gifts etc when they run promotions, one needs to choose between the discount & gifts they offer.
So points to remember before you finalize your contract with any of these companies :
- Research well to to understand which service you want & who is the best provider in your area
- Always look for best option in order to minimise the contract period & penalty in event of you breaking the contract
- Generally the contract is for 12 or 24 months
- The 24 months contracts is always better sometimes & offer maximum gifts like even Laptops in some cases !!
- Try to understand your need & subscribe based on that, not on the based on what you are getting as a part of contract ..e.g. One company is giving away Laptop(they say worth $1500) for your 24 months contract with them for taking 3 services(Cable TV+Internet+Phone). But if you break the contract within 24 months, you might have to pay $1000 back :) ..So decide what you want...
- Look for your needs - e.g. You want to make more local calls or IDD Calls.
- Some companies will offer Free IDD calls to India, USA etc for a fixed minimum rental per month. So if you are going to make more calls to that IDD destination make use of this facility.
- Generally breaking the contract is never profitable :(
- Never rush for the promotional offer or discounts, there is always something hidden in it. So take your time & then go for it.
- Starhub Cable TV has only 3 Hindi Channels - Star Plus, Zee TV, Sony
- Internet Services by Starhub is advertised at upto 6000 kpbs speed. So it might vary, it is not a dedicated speed.
- Singtel promises to provide better Broadband than Starhub - I have personally not used it.
- Generally - the Local calls are charged at .15 cents per minute
- IDD to India from Starhub mobile is expensive, instead buy a calling card which gives upto 80 minutes for $10 value
- M1 has a 384 kpbs anywhere wireless broadband service which is cheaper & good if your Internet usage is not much : http://m1.com.sg/broadband/m1bb.htm
Disclaimer : The above points are written by me based on my own experience & may change depending on the offer going on by the company at any given time. So please check the offer before deciding.