As it is very important for us to know the cost of living in a new country or city before we move-in, so that we are financially & emotionally prepared to live there !!.
Now that I have already been living in Singapore for more than 3 months, I guess I can put some math around for other people who are in search of the same question "How much does is cost to live in Singapore?".
Again what I am trying to put here is something based on my experience & my lifestyle(which call as Moderate).
There are 3 types of housing·
- HDB Most of the housing is HDB. Economical & most people prefer this to start with. Choices are 1,2,3,4,5 Bed Room flats in most of areas of Singapore.·
- Condo These are expensive housing schemes by govt or private builders. They are few in all areas & provide facilities like Swimming pool, gym, guarded security etc. But the rooms generally are smaller & you have to pay more for it.
Consider some settlement expenses when you arrive, following are based on my experience·
- One Month rental as Deposit (e.g. $1300)·
- 50% of the per month rent as Brokrage to Agent (e.g. $650)·
- Most of the HDB/Condo flats will have furniture, but sometimes you might have to buy something. Furniture is expensive depending on what you want to buy (e.g. $500 for a Queen size bed)·
- Buying any electronics items like Mixer Grinder/Vaccum Cleaner etc will cost more here.·
- Indian style Kitchen utensils are expensive here (e.g. $50 for a 4 ltr Aluminum Hackings cooker)·
- Any other item you want to buy which is not there in Flat you rent or required.
Some other points about Singapore
- All Indian vegetables/grocery are available in Mustafa 24 hour shop· Little India(a Place in Singapore) has most of the other Indian Stuff & food items.·
- No need of Car as pubic transport is very effective & cheap to travel all around Singapore·
- Weather is not extreme..humid climate·
- Lots of Indians for community help·
- Roundtrip to India is about $700-1000 per person
- Deposit to Schools for registration (e.g. 1 month fee or around $1000-1500 for Indian Schools.
- There are 2 Indian Schools : Bhavans & DPS !! Having CBSE system.
Some useful websites·
- http://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/ - Singapore Govt Site·
- http://www.mustafa.com.sg/ - Mustafa where all Indians go every weekend :)
- http://tt.ecitizen.gov.sg/index.htm - Transportation Info